Friday, November 9, 2012

Skyfall


Let me begin by admitting, I'm not a Bond fan.  (Gasp!)  I know this is a beloved franchise, but the early ones are undeniably cheesy, and while the later ones have significantly reduced cheese, they're still frequently dull, predictable, and devoid of a memorable storyline.  There, I said it.  So, for the last month I've been telling people how little I was looking forward to this 23rd official entry in the series, marking its 50th Anniversary.  But I'm always more than happy to eat my words when warranted, and this is definitely one of those times.  This. Bond. Is. Excellent.

Exciting action.  Engaging story.  Superb casting including Daniel Craig, Dame Judi Dench and Ralph Fiennes.  Breathtaking locations.  Pumping sound.  A vibrant score.  And the perfect Bond villain, as played by Javier Bardem.  And at a whopping 2 hours and 25 minutes, this could have been a very uncomfortable marathon at the multiplex, but it flies by.  Quite simply this is the best Bond film I've seen.  Like last year's 'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol', it's one of the best action films of the year and it needs to be seen on the big screen.  Happy 50th, Mr. Bond.  You've never looked better.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment