Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Parental Guidance


Billy Crystal and Bette Midler play grandparents who are a bit rusty with their parenting skills, but are about to get a crash course when they baby sit their kids, played by Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott.  Of course, each child has their own unique problems and, of course, these old school grandparents are going to turn all that around.  (Oops, should I have said spoiler alert?)

I take no pleasure in speaking ill about family friendly films.  I really don't, particularly one that stars Billy Crystal, who I've always been a big fan of.  But, to go from 'When Harry Met Sally' and 'City Slickers' to this is an abomination.  I may be a little harsh here, but I really had trouble sitting through this cornball message laden film.  Sure, it's got some humor and I chuckled here and there.  But, if you're going to have messages in your cornball film, at least make them appropriate for impressionable kids watching the film.  I disagree with many of the lessons taught, and I therefore cannot recommend this as the Christmas Day film for your kids.

Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment