Friday, January 18, 2013

Broken City

 
 
I was just thinking to myself the other day that there aren't any smart noir/detective films made anymore.  When was the last time we had a 'Chinatown'?  Or even an inferior attempt at one?  It seems Hollywood has decided audiences don't have the patience for a movie where we have to pay attention and think.  But everything happens in cycles and hopefully these types of films will make a comeback.  Last week we had 'Gangster Squad' which, granted, was heavier in style than in smarts, but it's very well made and a lot of fun.  And now we have 'Broken City' which is even better.
 
Mark Wahlberg plays a former New York City cop, who now makes his living (barely) as a private dick.  But when his old acquaintance, the Mayor, played by Russell Crowe, calls and asks him to find out who his wife is fooling around with, you just know not everything is as it seems.  It's a story right out of the noir playbook, but fans like me will revel in every second of it.  Wahlberg is just right as the lead, and Crowe is at the top of his game here, and more devilishly fun than I've ever seen him.  I really hope people go see this movie so we'll get a lot more like it in the future.  And kudos to Hollywood for releasing such a smart, well made film in mid-January.  You've given a jaded film critic hope.  (a small tear runs down my cheek)
 
Grade: A

6 comments:

  1. The top 2 spots at the Box office this weekend will be ruled by J.Chastain with Mama finishing first and Zero Dark Thirty second. Broken City might finish third. I just looked on Rotten Tomatoes and its at 25%, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even though I'm not a fan of 'Mama', I do love Jessica Chastain and I'm really happy she's getting so much attention for her work.

      I can't understand the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for Broken City. And actually the consensus on Rotten Tomatoes has been wrong on many occasions lately. 'Flieder on Film' is the only site you can really rely on.

      Delete
  2. I'm seeing Broken City tomorrow, I'll let you know who I lean towards, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I predict you'll fall somewhere in the middle and consider it a B or B+.

      Delete
  3. I finally saw this last weekend, and let me say that in this case you are correct FoF, haha, A- for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad to hear you say that. I was starting to second guess myself. The general consensus is that it's not very good. It only has a 27% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I really enjoyed it, but I did debate between giving it an A or an A-.

      Delete