Friday, January 25, 2013

Quartet


Let me start by saying I'm glad that movies made for older folks starring older folks are in vogue.  In this post-'Downton Abbey' world, 70 seems to be the new 20.  And Maggie Smith is apparently the new 'it' girl.  Arguably the best ensemble of 2012 came from 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.  And now, we have yet another ensemble featuring Smith, as well as Tom Courtenay, Michael Gambon, and Billy Connolly.  Directed by Dustin Hoffman, this one's a dramedy about quirky Brits living at a home for retired musicians.  But, as much as I love the cast, and love this newfound appreciation for more seasoned actors, this one's a bit dry and could have used a bit more life injected into it.  Billy Connolly breathes life into it, stealing every scene he's in, but when he's not on screen it grinds to a halt.  Hoffman may be a seasoned actor, but I think he needs a little more work behind the camera.  And next time, Mr. Hoffman, may I suggest you also get Bill Nighy?

Grade: B

1 comment:

  1. I thought the movie plodded along also, outside of Connelly's scenes.

    This film had no where near the emotional impact that "Marigold" had on me.

    ReplyDelete