Monday, January 21, 2013

The Tall Man

 
 
I often ask myself why I waste time watching movies on VOD or DVD that didn't get any attention from critics or audiences alike, many of which never even got a theatrical release.  Clearly if a movie is any good at all, there would be some buzz and sterling reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic, right?  Well no, not necessarily.  Case in point: 'The Tall Man'.
 
Jessica Biel stars as a nurse living in a small town where children are mysteriously disappearing.  Rumor has it that a hooded, and possibly inhuman, 'tall man' is responsible.  And now the FBI has arrived to find the culprit and hopefully the children as well.
 
I can't remember another film that kept me more on tilt from start to finish than this one.  ('Cabin in the Woods' comes to mind, but that one has a completely different comic tone in a campy sci-fi genre.)  Starting with a Hitchcockian / 'Twin Peaks' / 'Winter's Bone' feel, and continuously morphing with twists, non-linear storytelling, and multiple reveals, this dark mystery/thriller will keep you guessing until the very last minute, and leave you thinking, but also fully satisfied.  It's a great find and a great reminder why I look for hidden treasures.  Looks like My Top 52 Films of 2012 just became 53.  It's now my 18th favorite film of 2012.  See it now on VOD, DVD and Blu-Ray.
 
Grade: A

3 comments:

  1. Watched this last night, I couldn't agree with you more, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How did this film get so overlooked last year?!?

      Delete
  2. For another wild ride, check out the writer/director's prior film Martyrs

    ReplyDelete