Friday, March 1, 2013

Jack the Giant Slayer

'Jack the Giant Slayer', better known as 'Jack and the Beanstalk', is the latest big budget fairytale to hit the multiplex (following the cold reception of recent releases 'Red Riding Hood' and ''Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters'.  Sure, these are souped up and modernized a bit with good special effects and better casts than they deserve.  But the central problem is, we all know the story already.  So how much fun can they really be?  And what makes a Gary Oldman or a Jeremy Renner or, in the case of 'Jack the Giant Slayer', Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, Ian McShane, and Bill Nighy all decide they want to be a part of one of these neo-fables?  They're never great.  At best, as is the case here, they're passably entertaining.  Well, hopefully the paycheck was good, because all of their street-cred just got knocked down a bit.

Grade: B-

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you on this one! I give it an A! Yes it's Jack and the beanstalk but it's a totally different story from what I was told as a child. Now I don't know what it would've been like in 2D but I thought 3D was Great!!! The Acting Cast was outstanding. The visuals with the Giants and the bean stalk were Great! The visuals of the Kingdom and scenery were Great! I'm not going to give it away but the way they ended the movie was very Good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I agree with you that the cast is very good, the giants are kind of cool, and the ending was my favorite part. (Thank you for not spoiling it!) But for the most part I found it dull, and I really didn't care for the 3D (which is how I generally feel about 3D.) But I can't deny it's pretty well made for what it is. I know some people who hated it and some, like you, who found it exceptional. I fall somewhere in between. Thanks for the feedback, Joe.

      Delete