Friday, August 30, 2013

Drinking Buddies




Olivia Wilde, Ron Livingston, Anna Kendrick, and Jake Johnson play the emotionally confused romantic square in this mumblecore drinking and date swapping indie dramedy.

Now, is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of the Lena Dunham Age where every indie film is the next installment in the 'twenty-somethings with no real problems so they create relationship drama' genre?  And it's a fine line between a mumblecore film that for artistic reasons doesn't have a firm script, and just pure laziness or lack of talent to make a firm script that works.  At least the cast is good, but nobody really shines here, and Livingston is way too old for this role.  But don't get me wrong, it's an OK movie.  It's just not exceptional or memorable in any way.  Though at least you can see it either in theaters or at home on Video on Demand.

Grade: B-

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a movie before you reviewed it!

    I watched this on demand at home last weekend. I had super high hopes for this, but agree that it kind of fell flat. I appreciate the realism in terms of awkward conversations, nothing really happening, & forced drama that we all tend to make. But it just was kind of boring. It felt like someone just recorded a week in the life of my friends. And unless they're doing something insane, like climbing Mount Everest, that is not a movie I'd like to watch. Also agreed that Ron Livingston felt out of place in this role. But it wasn't terrible. I would have preferred to watch it for free when it shows up on HBO later.

    ReplyDelete