Friday, September 27, 2013

Enough Said


Is finding love possible for divorced and disillusioned 50-somethings, or does prior emotional baggage make it hopeless?  Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini do their best to get a second chance at love in this romantic dramedy by writer/director Nicole Holofcener.

In my opinion, few auteurs can create character and dialogue driven storylines as well as Holofcener.  I said that in 2006 when I saw 'Friends with Money', and then again in 2010 with 'Please Give'.  She has a gift for writing dramedies with complex characters that feel honest and real in everyday relatable situations.  She consistently gets career high performances out of her cast.  She makes the tired chick-flick romance genre feel fresh and appreciable by men as well as women.  And she walks the line seemingly effortlessly between comedy and drama.  And as a huge Woody Allen fan, I rely on her (as well as Edward Burns) to provide me that Allen-esque fix I crave.  And quite honestly, she succeeds more regularly than Burns and even Allen himself.  Needles to say, I'm a fan.  So my expectations were quite high for 'Enough Said'.  And yet she exceeded them.  This is her best film to date.  Dreyfus really shows us her full acting abilities, often relaying more with a subtle expression than many could do with a well written monologue.  And Gandolfini reminds us he was more than just Tony Soprano.  He was a lot more, with a lot of acting range.  Here, he shows his softer and more charming side, and it makes it all the more poignant knowing this is the last time we'll see him on screen.  If he were still alive today I would have still given this film an A.  But, now that he's gone, it feels like an unexpected gift.  R.I.P. Mr. Gandolfini.  You deserve nothing less than ...

Grade: A (or maybe even an A+)



1 comment:

  1. Luckily we will have one more chance to see him on the big screen in Animal Rescue which is due out next year.

    ReplyDelete