Friday, September 13, 2013

Insidious Chapter 2

 

Increasingly I'm discovering that I don't like horror films.  I like them in theory, but most horror films suck.  They go for cheap, easy scares to compensate for a lack of creativity and originality.  And audiences soak that crap right up (which often infuriates me.)  But 'Insidious' was a better than average horror film.  Created by Saw-masters James Wan and Leigh Whannell, it was more ambitious than typical horror junk.  Sure, it had plenty of cheap scares, punched up by shrill sound effects.  But it also had a storyline that felt fresh and vast enough to sustain a franchise.  It was slightly and purposefully cheesy; enough to make it fun, but not so much as to belittle its horror value.  It's 'Poltergeist' for a new generation, and it actually made me want a sequel, which is rare for a horror film these days.

Chapter 2 picks up where the last one left off, with Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson returning as parents to a boy that's being haunted.  This time out we get a deeper look into the back story of Wilson's character.  But once again, the bulk of the film is taken up by cheap scares and shrill sound effects.  There is some story development, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped.  Rather than bring this franchise to a new level, I think they actually took a few steps back here.  I'm disappointed.  But even so, this is still a more fun horror franchise than most of what we've seen lately.  I just hope Chapter 3 is a little more creative.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment