Friday, October 4, 2013

Gravity


'Gravity' was one of the more anticipated films of the year for a lot of people.  George Clooney and Sandra Bullock in space?  Directed by Alfonso Cuaron ('Children of Men')?  Sign. Me. Up.

Clooney and Bullock play two astronauts who run into serious troubles when unexpected debris knocks them free from their space shuttle.  With just the two of them alone in space with diminishing oxygen and fuel, they need to figure out a way to survive.  The film largely consists of just the two actors (but with some notable voiceover work by Ed Harris, thereby completing his astronaut themed trilogy including 'The Right Stuff' and 'Apollo 13'.)

Maybe it's a function of seeing too many movies, but unfortunately 'Gravity' just didn't weigh in as heavy as I expected.  Bullock at least works overtime to impart the gravitas of the situation.  But Clooney is really just being typical Clooney, and as much as I like him, I didn't buy his unbelievably calm, cool demeanor under the circumstances.  And even though the storyline is compelling, and certain scenes are nail-biters, I can't help but feel we've seen it before in many other more compelling disaster films.  ('The Poseidon Adventure', 'Titanic', 'The Impossible', and 'Cast Away', to name just a few.)  This one just happens to be in space.

To be clear, most every critic I talk to seems to think this film is spectacular and the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are almost 100% fresh.  People seem to feel totally absorbed by the film, and find the 3D to really pull you in like you're there.  I just didn't feel as connected to it.  Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but it's just not the awards worthy film I was hoping for.  At least in my opinion.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment