Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire


Let me preface my review by saying that even though I never read any of the books, I loved the first 'Hunger Games' film, and enjoyed it even more the second time I saw it.  It's everything a big Hollywood blockbuster should be.  It's original.  It's exciting.  The casting is perfect.  The visuals are breathtaking.  It's fully engaging from start to finish.  And it makes you want more after it's over even though it's almost two and half hours long.  Essentially it's everything that 'Thor: The Dark World' should be but isn't.

I'm pleased to report that my review for the sequel is exactly the same.  It's everything you could want.  It picks up exactly where it should.  It takes you in directions that totally make sense, but yet weren't obvious to me.  The cast is the same as the first, once again including really fun supporting performances by Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, and Donald Sutherland, but also now adds Philip Seymour Hoffman to the mix.  And it's just the right balance of similar to the first but different.  I loved it!  It flew by and I can't wait for the next one!  This is a movie you want to see on the big screen.  I saw it on IMAX and it looked tremendous.  Clear you calendar this weekend and go and see it (after revisiting the first one at home, of course.)

Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking how sad that I didn't get a sneak preview like the first one! Glad it lived up to it.

    ReplyDelete