Sunday, January 26, 2014

Big Bad Wolves


A cop takes the law into his own hands when the man he suspects killed his daughter is set free due to a lack of evidence. How far is too far to go to seek justice?

As you can see from the poster, Quentin Tarantino proclaimed this violent Israeli revenge/kidnap/torture thriller the best film of 2013 (even though it wasn't technically released here in the US until 2014.)  And while, knowing his taste, I understand his enthusiasm for it, and I quite enjoyed it myself when I saw it last October at the Philadelphia Film Festival, I must say that it won't be everyone's cup of tea.  It's quite violent and disturbing.  And although it's understandably compared to my second favorite film of 2013, Prisoners, I don't think it's nearly in the same class.  But fans of the genre will surely enjoy it.  (It should be noted that Tarantino also boldly included the much panned The Lone Ranger on his Top Ten of 2013.  So we all have some bad taste, but at least he's an individual and not ashamed of owning what he loves.)

'Big Bad Wolves' is available now on Video on Demand (in Hebrew with English subtitles.)

Grade: B+

Who is this movie for?  Fans of violent, disturbing, and darkly comical revenge thrillers who also don't mind reading subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment