Friday, January 17, 2014

Life According to Sam


I was saddened to learn that Sam Berns passed away this week.  You probably don't know him by name, but I had the privilege of watching his documentary, 'Life According to Sam', at the Nantucket Film Festival last June.  And although it wasn't on my original schedule of films to see, it became the talk of the festival, as did he and his parents who were there for a Q&A after the screening.  Unfortunately I missed seeing them but I caught the film on my last day when it replayed as the winner of the audience award, and totally loved it. 

Sam was stricken by a rare disease called Progeria which causes your body to age rapidly.  And even though he was only a teenager, he didn't resemble one at all.  Of course this didn't keep him down.  He had loving parents, lots of friends, and a great love for the Dave Matthews Band.  He lived life with a better attitude than most of us and it seemed like everyone around him loved him.  And now, thanks to him, Progeria is on more people's radar, and maybe a cure is that much closer.  I highly recommend seeing this movie, even if it doesn't sound like your cup of tea.  It'll win you over.  And you can see it now, at least until 1/19, on HBO on Demand.

Movie Grade: A-

Grade for Sam Berns: A+

Who is this movie for?  Everyone.  It's an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment