Friday, February 28, 2014

Non-Stop


Much like Jason Statham, who I often come down on for making the same movie over and over (and over), Liam Neeson has allowed himself to be typecast in one particular role.  He is a man with a special set of skills, put under extreme circumstances, and to be sure, he's going to use those skills to kick your ass.  I always do my damnedest to stay away from trailers and any spoilers, so I can't say I had expectations for 'Non-Stop', but the word on the street was that this was going to be 'Taken 3: Taken on a Plane'.  And, while I loved 'Taken' just as much as the next guy, I couldn't imagine how they'd do taken on a plane.  In fact, ever since I first heard of Wesley Snipes making Die Hard on a Plane, a.k.a. 'Passenger 57', I've always wondered how you could have an action film on a plane?  Where can you possibly hide?!?  I'm fairly skinny and I can barely fit my rear end down the aisle!  But I digress.  I'm pleased to report that this movie is nothing like 'Taken', and it is, quite surprisingly, really entertaining.  I was most pleased to find out that it's more of a mystery than an action film, though it does have a few great action sequences.  I will offer no synopsis, as I thoroughly enjoyed watching the story unfold, but I'll just say there are plenty of interesting characters thrown your way to keep you from guessing the true villain.  Be forewarned, the final reveal, at least for me, was the weakest point of the film.  Don't go see this movie for the end.  Go see it to sit back, stuff your face with popcorn, and enjoy the journey.  And, to adapt a phrase made famous by Snipes in 'Passenger 57', always bet on Irish.

Grade: A

Who is this movie for?  Anyone looking for a fun, mainstream, popcorn somewhat Hitchcockian mystery/action/thriller that will hold your attention from start to finish.

1 comment:

  1. We went and saw Non- Stop last night. It was a pretty good movie, I agree with the A-. My favorite part is how they made the Muslim Dr to be a Good Samaritan, that part really stuck out to me!

    ReplyDelete