Friday, February 7, 2014

The Lego Movie


OK, here's the deal ... generally speaking, I think I'm a pretty good movie critic.  (Although I have plenty of friends and fellow critics who might disagree with me on that.)  But just like any movie fan, there are specific genres that I love and those that I just don't get.  I try to be unbiased when I review a movie, and even if it's not for me, I do try and review it fairly for those of whom it is targeted.  But I just don't think I can do that with most animated films.  Most of them seem the same to me.  I do tend to like Pixar and Disney animated films the best, particularly if they are musicals and/or have moments of real poignancy.  But these animated comedies?  They just lull me into an unavoidable coma-like nap.  (And don't get me started on a rant about movies based on toys!  Transformers?  G.I. Joe??  Battleship???  And now Legos????  Can you say merchandise tie-in?  I can hear the kids now ... Mommy, I NEED that $200 Batman Lego set!)  So, I don't know what to say about this movie.  Yes, it's got some clever moments, particularly towards the end.  Yes it's got a catchy song that may get some recognition next year.  Yes, your kids will probably be mesmerized by it.  Yes, you may even enjoy it yourself.  But no, I didn't enjoy myself (for the most part.)  Though, no, that doesn't mean it's bad.  It just means I don't have the animation appreciation gene.  There, I said it.

Grade for me:  C
Grade for you:  B
Grade for your kids:  A

Who is this movie for?  If you like the Madagascar, Ice Age, and Kung Fu Panda franchises, you'll probably be entertained.  I don't and I wasn't.

2 comments:

  1. Boardwalk Empire > True Detective although I agree with you that I do enjoy the dialogue. Both good shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Boardwalk a lot, Ryan, and I'm so happy that Steve Buscemi finally got the lead role he has deserved for so long. But I have to go with True Detective. Though they're pretty different. True Detective is so much darker, slower, and grittier and more about the acting than story, at least so far.

      Delete