Friday, February 28, 2014

The Rocket


Since birth Ahlo, a twin baby born in Laos, has been believed to be a curse.  Now 10, Ahlo must prove to his family and to the entire village that he isn't the curse they think he is. 

Having played so well and won so many awards at many prestigious film festivals, I expected a lot more than I got here.  I'd love to be able to tell you this was the next 'Beasts of the Southern Wild', (a film I didn't enjoy nearly as much as others.)  But this one isn't as good as 'Beasts'.  It's not nearly as gripping or as heartwarming, nor does it have the soundtrack or cast that 'Beasts' had to really pull you in.  It's pretty ho-hum actually.  Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.  What did I miss?

Grade: C-

Who is this movie for?  Those who enjoy raw, low budget, subtitled narratives from third world countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment