Friday, February 14, 2014

Winter's Tale


Colin Farrell seems to have a thing for fables.  Five years ago he starred in a strange and unique Irish romance drama, 'Ondine', about a mermaid.  And now he's the protagonist in a somewhat lighter toned fable, as a man battling evil in the form of Russell Crowe, who believes it is his destiny to save a beautiful but terminally ill red headed woman (Jessica Brown Findlay) who he has immediately fallen madly in love with at first sight.  (Of course, there's a word for this in our non-fable world.  It's called lust.  I've experienced it frequently.  In fact, I too fell madly in love with her at the same time he did.  Go figure.)  Oh yeah, and there's a flying horse.  So that's something.

I admit, I get Farrell's affinity for fables.  Perhaps it's because there aren't that many of them made, but even my cold heart can sometimes be slightly warmed by a little magic mixed with romance, not unlike a live action Disney film.  And while I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, by the end this one won me sufficiently over if only by feeling original and fresh (and being the only film released this week that isn't a remake), and with a better than expected cast of cameos who pop up along the way.  I enjoyed it enough to recommend it once it's available for home viewing, but you really don't need to see this in the theater.  Of course, full disclosure, over time I've even warmed up to the widely panned 'The Lady in the Water' and the little seen but overwhelmingly criticized 'Passion Play', so you may not want to listen to my recommendation when it comes to fables.  I may be biased towards fables as much as I'm biased against animated comedies.  It's not my intention, but it is what it is.

P.S.  What important lesson did I learn from this fable?  Well, if you're dying, and you want a hero to save you, it's best if you're really, really good looking and always smiling and looking your absolute best, despite your terminal illness.  Take heed.  It could save your life one day.

Grade: B-

Who is this movie for?  Young adults and the young at heart who can appreciate a feel good magical romance, even if it is more than a little corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment