Saturday, March 22, 2014

Nymphomaniac: Volume II


Regular readers of my blog surely recall my review of Volume I two weeks ago.  And at that time I wasn't exactly sure what to think about the latest from Lars von Trier.  I wanted to see how it played out before I was comfortable with the B+ I gave the first part.  And now, I am comfortable with that grade for Volume I, but the second two hours I was less pleased with than the first.  The structure is exactly the same, as Charlotte Gainsbourg finishes telling her story to Stellan Skarsgard, but the tone is even darker, as we get into the latter and even more deviant half of her life as a nymphomaniac.  It's dark, it's perverse, and it's feel bad.  In other words it's quintessential Lars von Trier.

'Nymphomaniac: Volume II' is now available on Video on Demand.  I just don't really understand any artistic reason behind splitting it into two films.  It just seems like a ploy to get us to pay twice.

Grade: B

Who is this movie for?  Only fans of Lars von Trier's trademark dark, perverse, and feel bad cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment