Friday, May 30, 2014

A Million Ways to Die in the West


Regular readers of my blog know I often complain about comedies.  Most of them simply aren't funny.  And yet, even more painful than the movies themselves is the fact that the entire audience seems to be laughing but me.  Well this comedy western was a refreshing change of pace.  For once I thought a movie was hysterical and yet my laughter was frequently met by a deafening silence from the rest of the theater.  What can I say?  Seth MacFarlane's antics just tickle my funnybone!  And 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' boasts a LOT of crude humor packed in and delivered by a very impressive and unexpected cast including Liam Neeson, Charlize Theron, Neil Patrick Harris, Amanda Seyfried, Giovanni Ribisi, and Sarah Silverman.  Sure, those that know me may question why I love MacFarlane and come down so harshly on the likes of Adam Sandler.  To some, a fart joke is a fart joke.  (And there are plenty of them in this movie.)  But MacFarlane brings a freshness to those farts that Sandler lost fifteen years ago.  And sure there are plenty of cameos here just like you get in Sandler films.  But they're unexpected faces, which makes them even funnier.  (I mean, how many times can we see Rob Schneider, Tim Meadows, Steve Buscemi, and Kevin James pop up and still find it funny?)  I'm sure fifteen years from now I'll be criticizing MacFarlane for making the same childish movies over and over.  But for now, he's one of the better and fresher comedic talents in Hollywood, and this is easily the funniest movie of the year so far.  I think.

Grade: A

Who is this movie for?  If you enjoyed 'Ted' and 'The Three Amigos', you'll enjoy this.  If, on the other hand, you were one who found MacFarlane's hosting of the Academy Awards childish, unfunny, and misogynistic then you should probably steer clear.  And that's ok.  Everyone has a different sense of humor.  Just don't think less of me for loving MacFarlane.  (Oh, who are we kidding?  We all know that's not possible.)

4 comments:

  1. Your comment about making fart jokes fresh made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this movie sucks ass. how's that for gratuitous cursing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have stated that one needs to have a sense of humor to enjoy it. Sorry Mike, but that counts you out. ;)

      Delete