Friday, June 13, 2014

Borgman


I first heard about this film last October, as it was playing in the Philadelphia Film Festival.  But I didn't see it there, as it didn't fit into my schedule, and it appeared like another violent and disturbing home invasion film, of which I'm not a fan.  ('Funny Games' anyone?  I hate that movie.)  But having seen it now, I know I was way off.  Even though the film, mostly in Dutch, but with a little English, is essentially about a mysterious homeless looking man conning his way into a beautiful home, it's so much more than a typical violent and disturbing home invasion film.  It's mysterious, bizarre, and even somewhat surreal.  It keeps you wondering where it's going.  And it reminded me at times of 2012's Holy Motors, though it's not as much of a head scratcher.  All in all, a pleasant surprise.

Grade: B+

Who is this movie for?  It's a bit niche, for the art house, subtitled film crowd who dig the bizarre and surreal.  Though fear not, it's not excessively violent, gory, or disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment