Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars


As a straight middle aged man, there are certain genres of film I have no business reviewing under the guise of being a proper film critic.  This includes movies targeted towards pre-teens, teens, and women.  Nevertheless, I see a lot of movies and always offer my opinion here, regardless if it will represent that of the target demographic for the movie.

I must admit I wasn't expecting to love this movie, though like most of us I do find Shailene Woodley adorable.  (And if you haven't seen both The Descendants and The Spectacular Now and you call yourself a Woodley fan then shame on you.)  And I must say that for the first third of the movie I wasn't really feeling it, seeming like I was too old for this Twilight-esque romance among the terminally ill.  But just when I was about to slap this movie with a mediocre C, it began to win me over.  It took me in directions I wasn't expecting, and yes it even moved me.  While the rest of the audience were digging in their purses for tissues, struggling to hold back an explosion of tears, I actually got mildly choked up.  And that's more than I expected.  So, well done.

Grade: B+

Who is this movie for?  Hopeless romantics will love it.

2 comments: