Friday, October 10, 2014

Men, Women & Children


Just like most people who like movies, I find myself checking websites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic to see what the general consensus is among critics and regular filmgoers.  But I really don't know why I do that since often times it is completely out of whack.  And this latest film by Jason Reitman is another prime example of that.  The pre-release score on Rotten Tomatoes is a lousy 31% and on Metacritic it's a paltry 37.  Well those low scores are unwarranted.  This movie is terrific.  At a time when most movies in the theater involve comic book heroes and are targeted towards 12 year olds, Reitman is one of the few directors that consistently puts out movies for adults.  And most of the time they're excellent.  ('Thank You for Smoking', 'Juno', 'Up in the Air', 'Young Adult')  Sure, they're a smidge preachy and message laden, which can irk me in the hands of untalented filmmakers, but Reitman is a true master of his craft.  This time he tackles relationships, both young and middle aged, in the cyber heavy world we live in today.  Everything is different than it was 10 - 25 years ago, before the internet and cell phones.  Today we can connect to countless people instantly but in most ways we are more disconnected than ever.  And Reitman has his finger on the pulse of what that's like better than most.  Despite the low scores on the internet, this one's better than 'Gone Girl', 'The Judge', and 'Kill the Messenger'.  See it ... if you're an adult.  Otherwise just go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy' another f%#$-ing time and don't waste your time reading my blog.

Grade: A

Who is this movie for?  Adults who enjoy movies about the challenges of growing up and relationships.  Pair it with 'Disconnect' and 'Trust' for a trilogy of quality cyber-dramas.

 

6 comments:

  1. Nope. I'm so right it's blowing your mind! It's great. I actually cared about every character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving this an A really makes me question your judgment. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is different than before how exactly? ;)

      Delete
    2. brian, did we see the same film? The one I saw was trite and filled with stereotypes. Inserting techie bubbles above their heads bowed over their devices does not make any of the characters new and fresh. Nor does showing bright teenagers doing stupid things make them sympathetic! I must say, my companions had to restrain me from leaving the theatre when I saw that Adam Sandler's name come on the screen, but Reitman was somehow able to restrain his insufferable mugging.

      Delete
    3. Unknown, I can see that point of view. But it still totally worked for me, just as Disconnect and Trust did. I enjoyed and cared about all the characters.

      Delete