Friday, December 26, 2014

Best of 2014 by Genre


OK sure, I get it.  My Best of 2014 list is too overwhelming.  You don't have time to watch 56 movies!  And your taste may be different than mine.  So I've categorized my favorite films to help you zone in on the genres you like best.  You're welcome.


Most Likely to be Nominated for the Academy Awards
  1. Boyhood - My Grade: A+
  2. Birdman - My Grade: A-
  3. Selma - My Grade: B+
  4. The Imitation Game - My Grade : A
  5. The Theory of Everything - My Grade: D
  6. Unbroken - My Grade: B+
  7. Whiplash - My Grade: A
  8. The Grand Budapest Hotel - My Grade: C-
  9. Wild - My Grade: A
  10. Gone Girl - My Grade: B+
  11. Nightcrawler - My Grade: A
  12. A Most Violent Year - My Grade: A
  13. Inherent Vice - My Grade: B
  14. Still Alice - My Grade: B+
  15. Foxcatcher - My Grade: B+
  16. Mr. Turner - My Grade: D+
  17. American Sniper - My Grade: B+
  18. Fury - My Grade: A
  19. Interstellar - My Grade: A
  20. St. Vincent - My Grade: A
  21. The Judge - My Grade: B+
  22. The Homesman - My Grade: B+
  23. Big Eyes - My Grade: B
  24. Into the Woods - My Grade: B-
  25. Rosewater - My Grade: B+
  26. Calvary - My Grade: A
  27. Cake - My Grade: B+
  28. Black or White - My Grade: B-

Best Coming of Age
  1. Boyhood - My Grade: A+

Best Science-y Sci-Fi
  1. I Origins - My Grade: A+
  2. Coherence - My Grade: A
  3. Interstellar - My Grade: A
  4. The Congress - My Grade: A-

Best Action-y Sci-Fi
  1. Edge of Tomorrow - My Grade: A+
  2. Snowpiercer - My Grade: A+
  3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - My Grade: A
  4. Lucy  My Grade: A-
  5. The Maze Runner - My Grade: A-
  6. Captain America: Winter Soldier - My Grade: A-
  7. X-Men: Days of Future Past - My Grade: B+

Best Teen-Lit Sci-Fi
  1. The Giver - My Grade: A
  2. The Maze Runner - My Grade: A-
  3. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I - My Grade: B+
  4. Divergent - My Grade: B

Best Crime Drama
  1. Rob the Mob - My Grade: A+
  2. The Drop - My Grade: A
  3. A Most Violent Year - My Grade: A
  4. Nightcrawler - My Grade: A
  5. The Gambler - My Grade: A
  6. Blood Ties - My Grade: A
  7. Jamesy Boy - My Grade: A

Best Crime Comedy/Drama
  1. Better Living Through Chemistry - My Grade: A-
  2. Life of Crime - My Grade: B+
  3. The Art of the Steal - My Grade: B+
  4. Dom Hemingway - My Grade: B+

Best Horror
  1. 13 Sins - My Grade: A+
  2. Open Grave - My Grade: A
  3. Deliver Us From Evil - My Grade: B+
  4. As Above So Below - My Grade: B+
  5. The Sacrament - My Grade: B+
  6. The Houses October Built - My Grade: B+
  7. The Purge: Anarchy - My Grade: B+
  8. In Fear - My Grade: B+
  9. Proxy - My Grade: B+
  10. Oculus - My Grade: B+
  11. Honeymoon - My Grade: B+
  12. Babadook - My Grade: B+
  13. Extraterrestrial - My Grade: B+
  14. Starry Eyes - My Grade: B
  15. The Devil's Hand - My Grade: B

Best Horror for all you Walking Dead fans
  1. Open Grave - My Grade: A

Best Campy Comedy/Horror
  1. Life After Beth - My Grade: B+

Best Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
  1. Anna - My Grade: A
  2. Poker Night - My Grade: A
  3. Nightcrawler - My Grade: A
  4. Non-Stop - My Grade: A
  5. Cold in July - My Grade: A
  6. The Captive - My Grade: A
  7. Whitewash - My Grade: A
  8. Night Moves - My Grade: A-
  9. The Calling - My Grade: B+
  10. Gone Girl - My Grade: B+

Best Guilty Pleasure Action
  1. John Wick - My Grade: A
  2. 3 Days to Kill - My Grade: A
  3. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - My Grade: B+

Best Cop Dramas
  1. Sabotage - My Grade: A
  2. McCanick - My Grade: B+
  3. Felony - My Grade: B+

Best World War II War
  1. Fury - My Grade: A

Best World War II Drama
  1. The Imitation Game - My Grade: A

Best Period Drama

  1. The Imitation Game - My Grade: A
  2. The Immigrant - My Grade: A

Best LONG Drama that Spans a LONG Period of Time
  1. Boyhood - My Grade: A+
  2. Olive Kitteridge - My Grade: A

Best Tech-Centric Drama

  1. The Heart Machine - My Grade: A
  2. Men, Women & Children - My Grade: A

Best Foreign Language
  1. Force Majeure - My Grade: A
  2. Young & Beautiful - My Grade: A-
  3. Human Capital - My Grade: A-
  4. Chinese Puzzle - My Grade: A-
  5. Wild Tales - My Grade: A-
  6. Borgman - My Grade: B+
  7. Bright Days Ahead - My Grade: B+
  8. Two Days One Night - Grade: B

Best Documentary
  1. Finding Vivian Maier - My Grade: A
  2. The Overnighters - My Grade: A
  3. The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz - My Grade: A
  4. Happy Valley - My Grade: A
  5. Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me - My Grade: A
  6. We Cause Scenes - My Grade: A
  7. Rich Hill - My Grade: A-
  8. Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago - My Grade: A-
  9. The Unknown Known - My Grade: B+
  10. Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show - My Grade: B+
  11. 21 Years: Richard Linklater - My Grade: B+
  12. Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon - My Grade: B+
  13. 112 Weddings - My Grade: B+
  14. NOW: In The Wings on a World Stage - My Grade: B+
  15. Citizenfour - My Grade: B+
  16. We the Economy - My Grade: B+
  17. Art and Craft - My Grade: B+
  18. Ivory Tower - My Grade: B+
  19. Life Itself - My Grade: B+
  20. To Be Takei - My Grade: B+
  21. Dancing in Jaffa - My Grade: B+
  22. Dinosaur 13 - My Grade: B+
  23. Merchants of Doubt - My Grade: B+
  24. Whitey: United States v. James J. Bulger - My Grade: B
  25. Korengal - My Grade: B
  26. Burt's Buzz - My Grade: B
  27. The Final Member - My Grade: B
  28. A Brony Tale - My Grade: B
  29. Tales of the Grim Sleeper - My Grade: B

Funniest Comedy 
  1. A Million Ways to Die in the West - My Grade: A
  2. They Came Together - My Grade: A-
  3. About Last Night - My Grade: B+
  4. The Interview - My Grade: B+
  5. Dumb and Dumber To - My Grade: B
  6. Bad Words - My Grade: B+
  7. This Is Where I Leave You - My Grade: B+
  8. Let's Be Cops - My Grade: B+
  9. Sex Tape - My Grade: B

Most Likeable Movie from the U.K.
  1. The Trip to Italy - My Grade: A-
  2. The Grand Seduction - My Grade: A-
  3. Bachelor Weekend - My Grade: A-
  4. Life's a Breeze - My Grade: B+

Best Music Related
  1. Whiplash - My Grade: A
  2. One Chance - My Grade: A
  3. Rudderless - My Grade: A
  4. Begin Again - My Grade: B+

Best Food Related
  1. Chef - My Grade: A
  2. The Hundred-Foot Journey - My Grade: A

Best Sports/Romance/Drama/Comedy
  1. Million Dollar Arm - My Grade: A
  2. Draft Day - My Grade: A

Best Romance(ish) Drama
  1. Rob the Mob - My Grade: A+
  2. At Middleton - My Grade: B
  3. Just a Sigh - My Grade: B

Best Romance(ish) Comedy/Drama

  1. One Chance - My Grade: A
  2. Life Partners - My Grade: A-
  3. Magic in the Moonlight - My Grade: A-
  4. Le Week-End - My Grade: A-
  5. Barefoot - My Grade: B+
  6. Two Night Stand - My Grade: B+
  7. What If - My Grade: B+

Best Romance(ish) Comedy/Drama/Bizarre
  1. The One I Love - My Grade: A
  2. Comet - My Grade: A

Most Inspiring
  1. Chef - My Grade: A
  2. One Chance - My Grade: A
  3. Wild - My Grade: A
  4. Hector and the Search for Happiness - My Grade: A-

Best Hollywood Satire
  1. Trust Me - My Grade: A

Best Quirky Indie Drama
  1. Lucky Them - My Grade: A

Best Fish-Out-Of-Water Story
  1. The Hundred-Foot Journey - My Grade: A
  2. Million Dollar Arm - My Grade: A
  3. The Grand Seduction - My Grade: A

Best Western
  1. Frontera - My Grade: B+
  2. The Homesman - My Grade: B+

Best Dialogue
  1. Calvary - My Grade: A

Best Filmed Play / Film Based on a Play
  1. Skylight - My Grade: A-
  2. The Man on Her Mind - My Grade: A-
  3. The Nance - My Grade: B

Best Big Chill-esque
  1. About Alex - My Grade: A-

Best Family Drama/Comedy
  1. The Skeleton Twins - My Grade: B+

Paul Haggis' Latest 'Crash'-like Drama
  1. Third Person - My Grade: B+

A Farewell to Philip Seymour Hoffman
  1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I - My Grade: B+
  2. A Most Wanted Man - My Grade: B+
  3. God's Pocket - My Grade: B

Best Attempt at recreating The Hurt Locker
  1. American Sniper - My Grade: B+

Best Bizarre
  1. The One I Love - My Grade: A
  2. Horns - My Grade: A-
  3. The Mule - My Grade: A-
  4. The Zero Theorem - My Grade: B+
  5. Borgman - My Grade: B+ 

Best Atmosphere
  1. Cold in July - My Grade: A
  2. Whitewash - My Grade: A
  3. The Sleepwalker - My Grade: A-
  4. Night Moves - My Grade: A-
  5. The Rover - My Grade: B+
  6. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - My Grade: B

Best Unofficial Sequel to Before Sunrise / Before Sunset / Before Midnight
  1. Le Week-End - My Grade: A-

Best Film about a Nymphomaniac
  1. Nymphomaniac: Volume I - My Grade B+
  2. Nymphomaniac: Volume II - My Grade B

And ... that Bizarre Doubles Phenomenon of 2014
  1. The One I Love - My Grade: A
  2. Coherence - My Grade: A
  3. Enemy - My Grade: A
  4. The Double - My Grade: B+
  5. The Pretty One - My Grade: B+
  6. V/H/S Viral ("Parallel Monsters segment") - My Grade: B
  7. The Face of Love - My Grade: B
  8. Another Me - My Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment