Friday, March 6, 2015

Chappie


A few days ago when news broke that Neill Blomkamp would be reviving the Alien franchise, with Sigourney Weaver on board, to send off Ripley with a bang, I couldn't have been more excited.  But now, having just seen Chappie, I couldn't be more concerned.

Blomkamp made a big splash in 2009 with his feature film debut District 9.  And since he has stuck with a similar genre with Elysium and now Chappie, he seems to be for Sci-Fi what M Night Shyamalan is for Suspense/Horror.  And unfortunately, like Shyamalan, his work is going in the wrong direction.  I wasn't the biggest fan of District 9 but I had hoped his work would get better and better.  The opposite seems to have occurred.  Chappie is terrible.  It's like a weird hybrid of Short Circuit, Robocop, Bicentennial Man, A.I. all set in the world of District 9.  And none of it works.  I can't figure out what Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver were thinking signing on for this.  (And Jackman should have learned his lesson about robot movies after starring in the equally unwatchable Real Steel.)

Grade: D

Who is this movie for?  I'd say most everyone who thinks it's for them will be disappointed.  Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment