Friday, March 27, 2015

Seymour: An Introduction


For the last 15 years I've increasingly become a huge fan of Ethan Hawke.  And he just wowed critics and audiences alike with his one-two punch of Before Midnight and Boyhood.  And besides being a hell of an actor, he just seems like a really interesting and nice guy.  I'm a fan of how introspective he is.  So when I heard he met a pianist named Seymour Bernstein at a dinner party and became so enthralled by him, his work, and his views on life that he felt compelled to make a documentary about him as a labor of love, I knew I had to see it.  Furthermore, critics have been raving about it.  Unfortunately, I wasn't as enamored.  Bernstein definitely seems like an interesting man, pianist, and teacher, with interesting views on life.  But at the end of the day, this doc just didn't enthrall.  Not even for its scant 82 minute runtime.  It may be worth seeing on the small screen, where it might even seem more intimate.  It's simply not big screen worthy in my opinion.

Grade: B-

Who is this movie for?  Fans of documentaries, Ethan Hawke, introspection, and classical piano might get enough out of it.  But I'd personally wait for VOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment