Friday, May 22, 2015

Tomorrowland


This one's been on my radar for quite some time.  I've been looking forward to it both as a life long fan of Walt Disney World and a fan of George Clooney.  Unfortunately neither of those reasons are good enough to save this marvelous mess.

Perhaps I'm just not the target demographic.  Perhaps when I was young I'd have been able to appreciate this movie for all its hope and optimism for the future which lies in the hands of our children, the dreamers.  But as an adult with dreams long crushed, I found all of this movie's positive messages for our troubled world to be forced and phony.  And that aside, it's still just a muddled mess that seems better suited as a 15 minute preshow for a ride at Tomorrowland in Walt Disney World, rather than a feature length summer blockbuster.  And this is a shame, because I have to give Disney credit for spending a boat load o' dough on a non-Marvel comic franchise, non-Star Wars, non-animated, original story.  This was a risk that just didn't turn out and I expect will likely flop, at least relative to Disney's expectations.  And that'll mean we can expect only Marvel comic, Star Wars, and animated franchise films to come.

Grade: C

Who is this movie for?  Your kids may very well enjoy it.  I really don't know.  All I can tell you is that I didn't.  It's 2 hours and 10 minutes and I was bored after 15.  And it's safe to say the guy snoring loudly behind me was too.  (True story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment