Friday, February 12, 2016

How to Be Single


We may like to think we don't, but we all judge books by their covers.  We just do.  That's how we select and prioritize what books we're going to read and what movies we're going to see.  Though the nice thing about being a film critic and seeing most everything, is that you often realize your original pre-conceived notions were wrong.  In the case of How to Be Single, there were several reasons why I almost skipped seeing it.  For one, I'm a dude.  And a film starring an ensemble of chicks whining about being single just doesn't have an appeal to me.  Second, these types of movies are so damn cliche by now.  And third, Dakota Johnson really undewhelmed me in Fifty Shades of Grey.  That's three strikes.  But, they screened the film close to where I live, and I had nothing better to do, so I figured I'd give it a go.  And I'm glad I did, because it's really a very funny and very entertaining film with a very likeable cast.  Everyone in it (including Ms. Johnson, as well as Leslie Mann, Alison Brie, and Rebel Wilson) really delivers.  But most importantly, the writing is strong.  What the plot lacks in originality, the dialogue, ensemble, and laughs more than make up for.  So don't be scared off if it seems like it's not your thing because you're too old, or too male, or too single, or too married, or too whatever.  Don't overthink it.  It's just a comedy.  And a good one at that.

Grade: A-

Who is this movie for?  Everyone.  It's a great feel-good movie for a date, or to see with a group of friends, or even alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment