Friday, February 19, 2016

Risen


Have you ever gone to a movie and realized just as the lights went down you didn't really want to be there?  Usually I'm pretty stoked to start a movie, but occasionally, right from minute one, I realize I'm just not that into it.  Such was the case here and the burden was on Risen to convert me.

I'm not a religious man, and have no interest in all these faith-preaching films of late.  But Risen at least had the allure of Joseph Fiennes to draw me in.  So I decided to give it a go.  And, as expected, he was quite good, as he always is.  But even with his watchable performance, it was still a struggle for me to get into it.  Though, I told myself if I made it through The Passion of the Christ, which was literally pure torture, I could make it through Risen.  And I did.  But was it fun?  No.  Was it educational?  No.  Did it change my feelings towards faith?  Not at all.  Is it just another Jesus resurrection story?  Kind of.  But it's a well made film with some good acting and told from a different angle, as seen through the eyes of a non-believer.  So that's something.

Grade: B-

Who is this movie for?  It's well made for what it is, but unless Jesus is your savior, I just can't see why anyone would want to choose this as their weekend movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment