Friday, February 12, 2016

Zoolander 2


I must admit, I never really understood the cult following for Zoolander.  It just seems like a marginally clever SNL-type sketch stretched out thin to feature length.  Sure, it has its moments.  And yes, I'm not above busting out my own Blue Steel face when the moment is right.  (And trust me, when I do it's truly breathtaking.)  But it's hardly one of my favorite comedies.  In fact, Ben Stiller always struck me as schizophrenic, with half his films based upon cartoonish characters in preposterous situations, and half of them as a neurotic everyman in a mundane world we can all empathize with.  I strongly prefer the latter.  Flirting with Disaster, Meet the Parents, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and While We're Young are my kind of Ben Stiller films.  Y'all can have Dodgeball and Zoolander.

With that said, I'm certain there are a lot of people out there who have waited with baited breath for the last 15 years for this sequel.  I'm not one of them, but I still went in with an open mind and a reasonably low bar.  Unfortunately Zoolander 2 couldn't even meet me half way.  The plot is way too over-the-top and incoherent.  And the laughs are way too few and far between.  (Most audiences cackle at everything, but my screening was noticeably quiet.)   Really, the best thing it has going for it are all the cameos, some of whom are better than others.  But that's not enough for me to recommend you go see it, even if you're a big fan of the original.  I expect it to be a box office flop and a top contendder for some Razzie awards.  And I think Mr. Stiller may want to learn from it and take the opportunity to rethink Dodgeball 2 which is currently in development.

Grade: C+

Who is this movie for?  It's not terrible but I expect it'll disappoint across the board.  Skip it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment