Friday, March 25, 2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice


Chances are you've probably already heard some early buzz for this highly anticipated early entry in the hopeful-to-be DC Cinematic Universe.  And chances are they've been overwhelmingly negative.  In an effort to be positive, I will start my review with a positive comment: I was quite pleased not to have to sit through yet another Batman origin story for half the film.  Happily, they briefly cover his origin in the first few minutes and let us move on.  Yay.  Ok, now I'm done with everything positive I can think to say about this giant disappointment.  There really weren't many redeeming qualities to speak of.  Unlike Marvel films, it's completely humorless.  The gravitas is so thick you could cut it with a knife.  And that would be fine, if we felt connected to it.  But really, none of it is earned, neither through the acting nor the story.  Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a big giant, dreary mess that often doesn't even make much sense.  I kinda sorta get why the public has turned on Superman.  I follow (but don't believe) why Superman needs to go after Batman.  I have no idea why Batman tries to kill Superman.  And considering how long this film is (at two and a half hours) the title is grossly misleading, as the battle between Superman and Batman probably lasts about four minutes.  And it's not even intended to be the climax.  I found myself recalling and strangely even waxing nostalgic about Green Lantern.  If this is supposed to be an appetizer to whet our appetites for the upcoming Justice League films, it didn't.  In fact, it pretty much killed any tepid interest created by the largely disappointing Man of Steel.  At this point I would consider bagging the Justice League films altogether and all hopes for a successful DC Cinematic Universe.  It's just not working out as it has with Marvel.  That probably won't happen.  But at a minimum, I would take the reins away from Zack Snyder.  As the man in charge he's simply not doing this league any justice. 

Grade: D

Who is this movie for?  It's too long, too muddled, and lacks a single actor who delivers a single deserving performance.  Comic book movie fans are going to see it regardless.  (I know I would.)  But you really should use your 2.5 hours to do something better.  Maybe just go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment