Friday, May 27, 2016

Alice Through the Looking Glass


To me, the Johnny Depp led Alice in Wonderland from 2010 was nothing more than an unnecessary attempt at summer blockbuster eye candy.  The original Disney animated film from 1951 is all we need.  But, there's no denying that the 2010 update looked great and boasted a great cast.  Nevertheless, I was quite surprised in my research to find out that film is one of only 25 films to ever gross above $1 Billion.  (It's number 23.)  And Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean films actually take two other spots in the top 25.  Very interesting.

Now, 6 years later, we have an equally unnecessary sequel.  And once again, you can't deny how good it looks.  It always amazes me what you can do with technology (and hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of people.)  It's a pretty spectacular film to look at.  Nevertheless, that eye candy wears off quickly for me, and I found myself struggling to stay awake.  Yet again, this is just another big budget Spring/Summer entry that looks good, but has very little to offer otherwise.

Grade: B

Who is this movie for?  It's fine and likeable enough to take your kids to see it.  But Johnny Depp just gets creepier and creepier.  He makes Michael Jackson (in his craziest days) seem normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment