Friday, June 10, 2016

Now You See Me 2


I really wanted to love Now You See Me 2.  It has an amazing cast, including Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman, and Dave Franco, returning from the first, and adding Daniel Radcliffe and Lizzy Caplan to an already packed ensemble.  It's like the new Oceans 11 (which I love) and is a breath of fresh air amongst the other spring/summer comic book and animated films.  But as much as I wanted to love it, I couldn't escape the constant feeling throughout that I should be loving it more than I actually was.  The problem is, it's just not as clever or well made as the filmmakers clearly think it is.  At least, I don't think it is.  Truthfully, I found it confusing.  And I can't tell if that's because I'm dim or because it's poorly made and/or incoherent.  At all times, I felt like it was building towards a mind blowing reveal, but really my mind was never blown.  The magic seemed completely unrealistic and the explanations unbelievable. 

Grade: B

Who is this movie for?  If you enjoyed the first, you'll probably enjoy the second.  But I wish it were a bit better.  There's no denying it's still kind of cool, and I may enjoy it better after seeing it again, but my initial opinion is that it's too much smoke and mirrors.


No comments:

Post a Comment