Friday, July 1, 2016

Wiener-Dog


If you're as tired as I am of all the mainstream blah that is all too pervasive in theaters, then this weird little movie might be just what the doctor ordered.  Anyone who has seen even one entry in director Todd Solondz' filmography (Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness, Storytelling, Palindromes, Life During Wartime, Dark Horse) should know exactly what to expect.  But for those of you that haven't, this is dark, quirky, uncomfortable comedy at its best.  This one's an anthology of stories connected by a wiener-dog, and featuring an amazing and eclectic ensemble including Julie Delpy, Tracy Letts, Greta Gerwig, Kieran Culkin, Danny Devito, Ellen Burstyn, and Zosia Mamet.  I've seen it twice now, and enjoyed it even more on my second viewing.  Maybe the environment was just right but I laughed so hard I cried. 

Grade: A

Who is this movie for?  Honestly, I know lots of people who hated it.  But if you have a warped sense of humor like I do, and you'd rather try laughing at tragedy than yawning at typical, stupid comedy then give it a chance.  Often times despair is just funnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment