Friday, December 16, 2016

Jackie


Natalie Portman has been on the receiving end of a whole lot of praise, awards nominations, and critics' best lists for her performance as Jackie Kennedy following the infamous assassination of her husband.  And the praise is due, since her impersonation of Jackie is spot on.  In fact, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job.  The problem is, despite a lot of rave reviews, this film is a total bore.  It's artistic, rather than interesting.  In other words, it's the kind of film that makes people hate awards shows and believes voters to be out of touch with what regular people like to watch.  Truth be told, I'm not a fan of any of director Pablo Larrain's work, despite how beloved they all are by other critics.  So, because of the great performance, this is my favorite of Larrain's.  But I'd still rather take a nap.

Grade: C+

Who is this movie for?  It's too artsy fartsy for me.  See it at your own peril.  Just don't say I didn't give fair warning.



No comments:

Post a Comment